Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Two-Bean Tamale Pie

I love tamales (especially cheese and green chile) and I love pie, but together? May I say, "Yummy, yummy goodness"? I needed to give this recipe a try. This recipe intrigued me because it contained no meat, which fits my sister's criteria, it sounded very hefty and filling (I pictured sort of a shepherd's pie looking thing), and the ingredients were very simple (most from a can)!
I made a list of the ingredients that I didn't already have and ran out to the store with a friend during our lunch break. In record time (a little less than 1 hour), we were able to visit two destinations! After work, I came home and began the minimal prep work that entailed. The enjoyment of this meal came not only from its consumption, but also from the cooking process. I loved the vibrant colors and the unique flavor of each of the ingredients being thrown into the pot. Because the pot contained so many ingredients, it was really difficult to mess it up. This recipe is basically fool proof! Really! You would really have to want to mess it up in order to ruin it. I must have walked away from the pot for minutes at a time and it still prevailed!
The finished product satisfied my visual discernment. Now for the palette. It's flavor was very similar to chili and cornbread (makes sense because there was cornbread and the staple ingredients of chili), kind of like a chili and cornbread casserole. This worked out because I happen to love chili and cornbread (or even rice), especially on a cold and wet day. To add a little something extra, as a person who loves a little kick in most of the meals I eat, I added a splash of hot sauce to my slice of this very satisfying meal.

This recipe was submitted by Sarah Eskestrand from Denver, Colorado, Truman State University to The Healthy College Cookbook.

Ingredients:
Cooking spray
1 tblsp. vegetable oil
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed, drained, and slightly mashed
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed, drained, and slightly mashed
1 (16-ounce) can whole-kernel corn, drained, or 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
6 ounces vegetable juice
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 (8.5-to 10-ounce) package corn bread mix
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.

2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the green pepper, onion, and garlic and saute 3 to 5 minutes, until tender. Stir in the beans, corn, vegetable juice, chiles, chili powder, and cumin and continue to cook until the mixture is heated through.

3. Spoon the bean mixture into the prepared baking dish.

4. Prepare the corn bread batter according to the package directions. Stir in the cheese and a small handful of cilantro or parley. Spoon the corn bread batter on top of the bean mixture in an even layer. Bake uncovered for 25 to 35 minutes, until the corn bread is cooked through and golden brown on top.

1 comment: