Monday, March 16, 2009

Pi Pie for Pi Day

March 14 was Pi Day! To commemorate the occasion, I baked a Pi Pie.


Seeing that I had picked up an extra large box of strawberries a few days before, which I knew I could never finish, but was such a good deal, I decided to use them in this pie. I used a rhubarb pie recipe, but just substituted the strawberries for the rhubarb.




The pie turned out very well. The crust was flaky and tasty and the filling was just enough strawberry flavored and a hint of citrus flavored from the zest.


I was going to wait for the entire pie to cool before having a slice, but I just couldn't help myself. I took a slice while the filling was still relatively warm. March 14 was also when my sister took her SATs. As a treat, I sliced a generous portion, popped it in a tubberware, and surprised her with it after she took the notorious exam. Needless to say, she was surprised and ended up finishing the slice before completing the 7 minute ride home.

Crust (My all-time favorite - I will probably use this crust forever!) - From Williams-Sonoma

Filling (From Betty Crocker Cookbook):

2 cups of sliced strawberries (I didn't really measure, but used all that I had)

2 cups sugar

2 tbls. flour

1 tsp. orange zest


Egg wash.

Directions:

1. Prepare the crust.

2. Divide the dough in half.

3. Preheat the oven to 400F.

4. Mix all the ingredients for the filling.

5. Roll out half the pie crust until 1/4 inch thick with a circumference of 1 inch greater than that of the pie dish. Line the pie dish. Trim any excess crust and add it to the other half of the dough.

6. Fill the crust with the filling.

7. Roll out the other half of the pie crust like step 5. Cover the pie with the dough. Trim any excess dough. Seal the two pie crusts by pinching and creating a border of your liking.

8. With any excess dough, roll out to 1/2 inch thick and cut out a pi symbol using a serrated knife. Of course, any other design may be trimmed out as well.

9. Make an egg wash by whisking one egg. Apply with a brush to cover the entire pie.

10. Bake for about 45 min. to 1 hour, or until crust is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment