Sunday, September 13, 2009

Brown Butter Raspberry Tart

When I think of pie crusts, the first thought that comes into my mind is how difficult they are to handle. They are sticky no matter how much flour I use and they never roll so nicely around a rolling pin like on the FoodNetwork. Actually, those days ended a few months ago when I found the perfect recipe that has just the right consistency and bakes beautifully .
Even though I am now at a level where I can handle pie crusts and I believe I have found the perfect recipe, my countless arduous experiences still leave a negative imprint in my memories. It's gotten so bad to the point where, even though I love to bake pies, I only bake them during the holidays, when I can make large batches of pie crust dough at once, and make several pies at the same time.When I came across this brown butter raspberry tart recipe, I was tempted to try it, but my immediate thought and reflexes caused me to cringe at the thought of making the crust. Once again, I had bulk berries, so I took a deep breath and decided to suck it up and give it a go. I am so glad I did. The crust was so unbelievely simple and gave me no trouble at all. After the crust, which was a no brainer, the rest was a cake walk. This recipe was so remarkably easy that I made it twice! Now that's a no brainer.


Brown Butter Raspaberry Tart adpated from epicurious.com

Crust:

7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
Pinch of salt

Filling:

1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, diced
2 6-ounce containers fresh raspberries

Directions

For the crust:
1. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F.

2. Using rubber spatula or fork, mix melted butter, sugar, and vanilla in medium bowl.

3. Add flour and salt and stir until incorporated.

4. Transfer the dough to 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Using fingertips, press dough evenly onto sides and bottom of pan.

5. Bake crust until golden, about 18 minutes (crust will puff slightly while baking). Transfer crust to rack and cool in pan. Maintain oven temperature.

For filling:
1. Whisk sugar, eggs, and salt in medium bowl to blend.

2. Add flour and vanilla; whisk until smooth.

3. Cook butter in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until deep nutty brown (do not burn), stirring often, about 6 minutes. Immediately pour browned butter into glass measuring cup.

4. Gradually whisk browned butter into sugar-egg mixture; whisk until well blended.

5. Arrange raspberries, pointed side up and close together in concentric circles, in bottom of cooled crust. '

6. Carefully pour browned butter mixture evenly over berries.

7. Place tart on rimmed baking sheet. Bake tart until filling is puffed and golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.

8. Cool tart completely in pan on rack.

9. Remove tart pan sides. Place tart on platter. Cut into wedges and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment