Saturday, May 02, 2009

Restart Your Heart Cupcakes

At the beginning of the month I was hired to bake 30 cupcakes for a reception at Brimmer Street Theatre Company. The company was presenting a very neat play that I had seen the week prior. The setting of the play, Restart Your Heart, was at a wedding reception. Understandably, the client wanted cupcakes that had a wedding theme. He simply said, "white cake and white frosting". My mind ran wild with the vague description until I finally came up with what you see here.
This was my first attempt at making roses from buttercream, or roses at all, for that matter. It took me about 2-3 hours of practice before I finally felt confident enough to present them.
With the help of my sig-o, we carefully and strategically arranged them in the car, placing them on the floor of the back seat and schooching the passenger seat back to secure them in place. I drove carefully and delivered them with a nervous mindset. He had not seen them and I had not told him what I was planning to do. My only hope was that he liked them and realized how much time (2 days of practicing) I put into them because in the end, that's all that matters - that the customer is happy and I had something to do with it. He looked at them and said, "They're works of art!". With that said, my anxiety and exhaustion melted away.

No comments:

Post a Comment